Sunday, February 22, 2009

Overwhelmed

The following passage overwhelmed me on Saturday as I was reading along

Lamentations 3:21-26

21 This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. 22 The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For his compassions never fail. 23 They are new every morning; Great is your faithfulness. 24 "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I have hope in Him." 25 The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, To the person who seeks Him. 26 It is good to wait silently for the salvation of the Lord.

The above is one of the best reasons to read the Scripture and be enlightened on a regular basis.
This was written by Jeremiah in the book of Lamentations, or book of Lament as some call it. It is something that the Jewish people will read to be reminded of the utter destruction of their city. If your read the prior book, Jeremiah, you will see that Jeremiah is calling the people to turn from their wicked way and to be obedient to the Lord. The message throughout Jeremiah is to choose life or to choose death, and the people continually disregard the message of Jeremiah that he is given from the Lord and choose death. Due to their constant rebellion and disobedience God allows Jerusalem to be overthrown. The following book is Lamentations and in it you find the above nugget.

How does this apply to us? Well, our God is so good, that even when we are constant rebellion and disobedience to Him, he offers his mercy every morning. Mercy is not getting what you do deserve. If you read along in the book of Jeremiah, you can see that God was really giving every opportunity for the people to turn to God and follow Him, but when they did not, they chose death. Even when they made this choice God was telling them to accept his mercy and wait patiently for Him. So, for us here is some great news.

1. In life we have a choice, it is life or death. Life is to follow God through Jesus, death is to ignore Him and live life your own way.
2. If you are far from God and think that you are so far against Him that you can never turn to Him, you are wrong. The people of the above mentioned passage openly disobeyed and basically mocked God. How did God respond? He said his mercies are new every morning. I would encourage you to carefully consider continued disobedience, because the people went through a really hard time because they were so disobedient, but in the end God was still there.
3 No matter how bad any situation is, we have hope because of our Great God!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great God we have
He died for us when we were totally in rebellion to Him, and often times continue in Rebellion against Him. I still can not comprehend that a man, who was also God, would come to Earth and die for each of us knowing that so many would reject Him, but his Mercies are new every morning. I can not comprehend how he continues to pursue a relationship with each and every one of us in spite of the fact that we are so quick to forget about Him. His mercies are new every morning. I can not believe that God continues to work on me in spite of the fact that often I am a miserable failure at what he is instructing me in. His mercies are new every morning. I can not believe that God put my sins and your sins on a very bloody cross knowing that we would continue to rebel against Him. His mercies are new every morning. I can not describe how unthinkable it is to know that Jesus is right now preparing for me and for you a place to dwell with Him forever. His mercies are new every morning.

No comments: