Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas

It is the holiday season and I would like to share my thoughts on Christmas. I am not really a big fan of Christmas. Well, the way it is celebrated in America. This is the celebration of the most important day in history, and that is often overlooked because we are busy asking Kids what they want from Santa Claus. Please read to the end of this entry and you will find what I believe is the most appropriate question on December 25th, and possibly any day of any year.
I do want to share the following,

"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will accomplish this."

The above is what Christmas is all about. It is about God becoming a man. God became a man, lived a sinless life, yet died a sinners death. In fact, the penalty for all sin for all time was poured out on him on a cross. This fact has never escaped me, or made sense to me. He who did no wrong, paid the penalty for all wrong ever done!!!!!!

So, instead of thinking of the gifts you are giving and receiving, be reminded of the greatest gift ever given. It was a baby in a manger, a creator among the created, a savior among the sinners.
There has never been one like him, nor will there ever be. If you think no one cares about you, there is one who cares so much, that he came to earth and died on a cross, just for you. He would have done that just for you or just for me. For me, I say so long Santa Claus, you are over rated, and hello Immanuel or God with us, the one who will bring peace on earth and to all men!!!!!!

This Christmas, I would encourage you to thoughtfully consider the following. It is the season of gift giving, ask yourself the following: What will you bring as a gift to the Lord Jesus? He wants your life. Will you give it to Him? All of it, it is really and truly the only thing on earth that is worth living for.....One of my favorite people to read about said something along these lines......"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"

Merry CHRISTmas

2 comments:

Jay McGee said...

This comment if off the cuff, and undrafted.

I am a champion of Christmas. Yet I am atheist.

How can this be?

It is very simple, and I do not believe that it will completely denigrate your Christian view of Christmas, which I must say is admirable - if you are Christian, it should not be about Santa Clause.

As for me, I love Christmas for the corniest of reasons. It's the whole "goodwill towards men" thing, I'm afraid. It's a time for good cheer, and a celebration of the benevolence that humankind can be.

It is well and truly the most wonderful time of the year.

And as a sidebar, I love those made-for-TV Christmas movies.

Michael said...

well, that being said, the following is what was said about Jesus shortly after his birth:

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men"