Monday, January 19, 2009

Decisions, Decisions.......

Well, I guess I am about to resume my blogging. One of my new year's resolutions is to determine what my "calling" in life is. There might be some question if we only have one calling, or if it is several over the time God allows us here. One thing is for certain, we are all called to obedience. We are all to give our lives to Jesus Christ, but that is another topic for another day.
Currently, I am considering 4-5 options, and have received the opinion of a couple of trusted friends on the matter (unfortunately, for me, their advice was not the same). Neither was wrong, both were just different. The following things are what I am considering:

1. The work of the Ministry......this must be determined to be a calling or it will just become a frustration. I am considering 2 different things that I would consider the ministry.

A. Missions--This has always been something on my mind and in my heart. There is nothing in the world more important that making Jesus Christ know to those who do not know him. My intent when I began my time in college was to do this as a career. It seems that when I pursue this that the doors do not open, which leads me to believe that perhaps I just need to be involved through my local church, but there is the possibility that the time just was not right.
(Probability 25%)

B. Family Counseling through the Local Church--This is very important to me and probably the thing that motivates me more than anything. For the sake of time I will not reveal my family history, but lets just say it drives me to make sure families are built in a godly manner. The family is supposed to illustrate Christ's love for his bride (the church). So if family is done right, and it seldom is in our culture, you get a preview of Heaven while we are on Earth. One of the most unfortunate statistics I have come across is the low % of Christian homes who have a regular devotional time in the home. This is not acceptable. How do we expect non Christians to look to us for guidance if we can not even keep our own home in order? The main obstacle for this for me....is the fact that I am single......but that is subject to change at any time.
(Probability 25%)

2. Sports Broadcasting--If you know me, you know that I love sports. If that is even possible, that is an understatement. I have never been bored of tired of watching a football or a baseball game (not even a Ranger game). I have a minimal amount of broadcasting experience over the Wise County Radio Waves, and I enjoyed every moment of it. This is what I would probably enjoy the most, but we are not here just for our sake.
(25% Probability)

3. Do what I do now (work in the Financial Industry)--This is the least appealing of all things to me, but it would be the easiest. It would not require any sacrifice of me, and it is possible it would be the most profitable, but I don't really feel like that is why the God of the universe is allowing me to be alive each day. I do have to say though, if God gifts you with the ability to work at a job, that is just as much of a calling as anything ministerial. There can be no missionaries and such things if people are not working and giving.
(25% probability)

So, that is what is on my mind for the time being. I do thank the Lord that he said his burden is easy and his yoke his light. I kind have a feeling that whatever I decide, as long as I am seeking to bring glory and honor to Jesus Christ, then all will be well.

Philippians 1:6

No comments: