Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Psalm 127.....Part II

1 Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.2 In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat— for he grants sleep to [a] those he loves.3 Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him.4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth.5 Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.

Please see the above mentioned highlighted part of the PSALM. I would like to address something that seems to be Anti American. Just so you know, I don't consider myself an American, but a Christian who lives in America (Phil 3:20, I will expound later), I am aiming to bring that perspective to this writing.

I am absolutely certain that God instituted marriage and family. The reason I am so certain for this is because it is the practical illustration of His love for His people. There is oneness that can only be found in family that represents the oneness we can find in Jesus Christ. The Hebrew text indicates that marriage is a completion or making one whole, or complete. Therefore, marriage is supposed to make you feel complete or one as much as possible on Earth. Don't worry Single people like me, marriage is the illustration, we are totally complete in Jesus Christ with or without spouse.

Today, I want to focus on what it means to have children and why American Christians should probably have more than the 2 they average. Lets think about the illustration of family. If God is building a kingdom, and He is, then He would want as many people in it as possible. This is why he has given us the admonition to be fruitful and multiply. If God is building His kingdom, why wouldn't we build the Kingdom he is allowing us to manage?

In the current time, it seems that the heritage that we claim is from the Lord is to find a job we love, save a lot of money and then retire to do whatever we want to do. I would challenge someone to bring me a biblical example of this lifestyle. Retirement is an American concept, not a Biblical one. (Full disclosure, my current employer is a retirement company.) This is one of the main reasons that people do not have as many kids these days, it reduces the American Dream. How can I travel the world in my RV when i am 63 if I have kids and grand kids to take care of?

Why is it important to have kids? Well, it is clearly stated in the Word of God, that if you have a lot of kids, you are blessed. I don't recall a scripture that says if you retire, enjoy your work and have fun you are blessed, but the Psalm indicates that if you have children, you have a heritage from the Lord and you are blessed. Let me pose the following question. At the end of your life, do you want to be known for the career you pursued, the vacations you took, or the Heritage you have in the Lord. You answer.

If you are wandering how many kids I think a Christian family should have, let me answer that.
I would say a quiver full, how many ever the Lord puts in your quiver. A quiver is what a warrior keeps his arrows in. I don't think there is a certain number, but the more you have the more blessed you are......even if you have less money. Which reminds me, children are never an expense or a punishment. Children are 100% of the time a blessing, no matter the circumstance of their birth.

I have a dream, that one day we stop thinking of kids as expenses and mouths to feed, but as on opportunity to raise in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. I hope that one day Christians everywhere celebrate the heritage that our Lord has provided. I am concerned that my generation is going to get old and regret that we have pursued our selfish interests and our heritage for the Lord will be minimal.

To my married friends, if you have 2 or 3 kids, you do not have a lot of kids. You are blessed, but please consider the Psalm and the blessing of a quiver full. Also, consider those who are physically unable to have children and how it must make them full if you decide that you only want a kid or two.

To my single friends........don't have any kids until you get married, but I am going to address the growing trend of delayed marriage soon.

3 comments:

Bethe said...

Sorry Mike, I think you're taking a narrow-minded view of families. There's a lot of ways to be blessed in the Bible, and I think having a dozen kids isn't the only way. I think this is one of those that may be different for every person, and it's a bit legalistic to suggest that one fit works for everyone in order for them to achieve the Lord's blessing.

Kristina said...

Hmm, I'd have to say I also see it from a different perspective. I totally agree with your statement about family being a representation of Heaven (if Christ-centered). However, your statement "If God is building a kingdom, and He is, then He would want as many people in it as possible. This is why he has given us the admonition to be fruitful and multiply." refers to simple evangelism/sharing Christ with/through our lives. Having children is not the answer to expanding the Kingdom of Christ (sometimes kids don't always make the choices we want them to---free will and all). However, sharing Christ with people is the answer.

Regardless, I always enjoy reading your blogs...and I'm locked in due to the ice...so I have lots of time! Have a blessed day!

Michael said...

Kristina, yes, we must evangelize, but we are not good at that as a people. Be fruitful and multiply, speaks of having children, real ones, not spiritual ones. You can make that application if you want.....but, the meaning was to increase your family (Gen 1:28)